Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Harvest Time

I am not, after all, the only weeder for the garden. Someone did bring a rototiller and got in between the rows. So, now the garden looks nice. I went to do some close to the plant weeding and saw the plants bore their flesh. So, I've switched projects. I am now in harvest mode. I will keep up the weeds for the beans as I pick along the row but weeding the potatoes is no longer. They are done and ready to be dug, I just need a shovel.

I froze the first small batch of beans last night to see how it would work and will freeze more today, seeing as I have a large bowl full picked already. This was the first time blanching anything and I think it went well. Of course, I freeze differently. I lay everything out in a layer on a cookie sheet and once frozen transfer them to another container. Freezing this way helps prevent them from sticking together. I will do it this way with the blueberries I get this afternoon. It is as close to IQF(individually quick frozen) that I can get, minus the "Q" part.

No comments: