Thursday, May 15, 2008

Strawberries

When I get back in June from a family reunion it will be the right time to go picking strawberries. I am very excited and better have the money. I plan to make some strawberry jam and can it for my storage and own enjoyment. We'll see, I may just end up freezing it or making freezer jam for now. It all depends on what the budget is like.

I love strawberries. I love berries! I planted blueberry and raspberry bushes and really wanted to plant strawberries. I was told they are hard to do around here so I just decided not to go with it and just keep up with everything else.

Well, today while clearing the weeds from the side of the house I noticed a bunch of red things. Upon closer examination, I didn't have to get that close though, I realized they were strawberries. There was a whole lot of strawberries stretching across the side of the house. I promptly got down to clear the weeds away and give these strawberries some room. I don't know when they were planted or by whom but am very glad they are there. The poor things were forgotten and its probably been years since someone last looked at them and saw them as strawberries. I think the only reason they are still there is because the mower can't get them.

There aren't enough plants to give me a good harvest of strawberries, but they will be fun to pick and eat.

Photobucket

Now if only there were raspberry bushes hiding somewhere I would really be in Heaven.

No comments: